SR. MARY HENRIETTA DOMINGO, EHJ receives an Award from the Archdiocese of Boston (Bishop James Augustine Healy Award)
Bishop James Augustine Healy Brief Biography
1835 – 1900 James Augustine Healy served as the first chancellor of the Diocese of Boston. In 1875, he became the first Black Catholic Bishop in the United States of America and the second Ordinary of the Diocese of Portland.
Bishop James Augustine Healy Award Criteria:
The James Augustine Healy Award is given to a practicing black Catholic who:
• Has actively shared the good news of the Gospel by providing strong effective leadership and significant service within the Black Catholic community
• Has fostered educational and mentorship opportunities
• Has been a witness of strong personal faith in Christ and compassion towards others
• Has an intense interest in encouraging a healthy Black Catholic identity and lives a life that exemplifies the meaning of the church universal.
• Is concerned about and understands the social teachings of the Church.
BISHOP JAMES A. HEALY AWARD